Saturday, February 4, 2012

Suggestion Versus Commandment

I went to a coffee shop to study, but i didn't want to get coffee since I had too much already for the day.  So I asked the barista what he recommends.  He then suggested to me a shake that he says I will surely like.  I couldn't really make out what kind of concoction he was trying to serve me. He just mentioned something about a fruit and that it tasted like yogurt. It turned out that his suggestion was okay, and I enjoyed the shake.

With a suggestion, you can either say yes or no.  People who suggest are those who do not have authority over us and hangs by our decision.  But people who have full authority over us can command us, and  our actions will either be to follow or disobey.  The negative implications of not following a suggestion are not usually as grave as not following a command.

When the Lord said, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another (John 13:34)," He was not suggesting, the Lord was commanding us.  He didn't say, "I suggest that you love one another as I have loved you...".  Why does the Lord command us?

1. He has authority to do so.  He is God and He is above us, and our obedience is demanded although we are given free will. He loves us so, that we were not born puppets, but creatures with a capacity to decide and choose good or evil.  We need to come to realize that His authority is like more of a father rather than a tyrant.  His authority is born out of love for us.

2. He knows that His commands are good for us.  Our wisdom is limited, while His is all encompassing.  Since God created us, he knows how we are supposed to be as His creation. When God commands, we have to obey because our disobedience will lead us away from Him.  When we are in a state of sin, we are ashamed and our dignity is stripped from us, just like how Adam and Eve realized that they were naked when they disobeyed God.  The 10 Commandments are good for us.  They were not called the "10 suggestions" because the consequences of disobeying are severe. If we "covet our neighbor's wife" we know the kind of tragedy that will fall on our family.

3. To give us direction in life.  His command is a way of revealing His perfect will for us. We often ask, Oh Lord what is in store for my future? What are your plans for me?  I believe that through His commandments, He directs us to the kind of life He wants us to live.  The fruits of our obedience will be the revelation of His plans.  What about the rich young man?


Now someone approached him and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?" 
He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good.  If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He asked him, "Which ones?" And Jesus replied, " 'You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness; honor your father and your mother'; and 'you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to (the) poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19: 16-22)


The true result of total obedience and observance to God's commandments will be a life of surrender to the Lord, putting Him first in our lives; even above our wealth and following Him to eternity.


The Lord does not command us to do something to our own demise.  He gives us commandments  rather than just suggestions because if He says so, it is sure to be good. God is good...all the time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


 
Copyright 2009 God is Enough. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan