Monday, May 3, 2010

God is Enough "the making"

Songwriting has always been my passion. In high school, we had songwriting contests and music projects. I was also playing in a band at that time. While trying to come up with a fresh song in my room with my keyboard, my mother suddenly knocked, and had this urge to say, “Why don’t you write songs for God?” She then stepped out of my room and left me with a question that still rings clearly inside my head, up to this very day. I wasn’t in YFC yet at that time. But somehow, God started to reveal his plan for the gift He has blessed me.
When I joined the YFC youth camp in 1995, I fell in love with God’s music. I delightedly suffered a LSS (Last Song Syndrome) of “Sure Foundation” that lasted for a whole two weeks. I always looked forward to every opportunity to worship, and hoping, just hoping, that one of the songs would be Sure Foundation. At the strum of that familiar guitar intro, I just knew it was my favorite worship song playing. I jumped for joy like a little child, excited to see his father. Right there, I then said to myself, “I am going to sing songs of praise ‘til the day I die.”
In 2003, I became very close with this guy who’s “over blessed” with the wonders that he could do with a piece of wood with six strings…Mike Serapio. Besides being a guitar genius, he manifested a passion for music that I’ve never seen from anyone. More than that, he had the undeniable desire to evangelize, to testify his life’s journey with God, through song. Through him, my high school passion of songwriting got reignited, and the haunting words of my Mom visited me once again, “Why don’t you write songs for God?”
Being missionaries in Manila and away from family who were in province, there were times that our faithfulness and dependence on God was tested. There were situations when we were out of money and had to eat on noodles on some days. But God always provided for us through the generous people whom He sends. There were moments when we felt lonely and depressed, missing our loved ones, but by just opening the Bible, God’s unfailing love comforted us. There were instances that confusions beset us, tough choices had to be made, but God always lit our paths and led us to the right direction. Reflecting on His goodness, Mike and I concluded, “God is Enough.” Thus, our first song was born.
Composing songs for the Lord is a result of an overflow of love for Him. It is an expression of thoughts and emotions wrapped in heavenly melody for God’s pleasure. It is a thirst for His presence, inviting the Lord to satisfy us with the peace and joy He pours into our hearts. A song for God is an eternal reminder of His promise, and our faithful response to His Word.
Is there a sweet melody gently playing in your head? Is there a strong force stirring in your heart compelling you to share God’s message? Get a pen and paper, and start to write. You need not know how to strum a guitar or even know how to carry a tune. All you need is love for the Christ, Jesus our Savior.
Psalm 96:1
Sing to the Lord a new song;sing to the Lord, all the earth.

2 comments:

katherina said...

Hi, I saw a link to your blog from a Facebook friend. Your songwriting journey is inspiring. Are these songs in an album?

Kirby said...

Hi puresolitude!
Yes, the Joshua Album is available at the Flame Store at the CFC Center in Ortigas. It contains some of the songs listed on the blog. God bless

Post a Comment


 
Copyright 2009 God is Enough. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan