Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Positions

In high school, I was privileged to be part of the basketball varsity team. I didn't score much points in games, but I was one of those who triained really hard during practice. I wasn't the best player but I was chosen as team captain (to this day, my friends wouldn't believe me). When I remember this part of my life, I still can't believe that I was the team captain. I didn't even want to have that position. It was enough for me to help the team win games in whatever way. May it be encouraging them, suggesting a play, bonding with them, or cleaning the court.

Reflecting on the gospel:
"Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee,came to Jesus and said to him,“Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” He replied, “What do you wish me to do for you?” They answered him, “Grant that in your glory we may sit one at your right and the other at your left.” Mk.10:35-37.

These guys wanted positions really bad. From the priest's homily I heard, "Because of man's brokenness there is a tendency to seek for affirmation in positions." Positions are not necessarily about organizational positions. Positions may be about our pride and desire to be recognized. We want to be higher than others in terms of our opinions and ideas. We right away conclude that the other is wrong. We always want to be on top, and we are offended if someone challenges our aspirations and directions. When the ten heard this, they became indignant at James and John. Mk. 10:41.

John Maxwell argues that the lowest level of leadership is leadership by position. "You are only leading them in name and your leverage is only what authority has been given to you from above." Leadership is not in the titles that we hold, but in the way we serve and relate to others. But it shall not be so among you. Rather, whoever wishes to be great among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all. Mk 10: 43-44

Now I know why our coach chose me, because I was willing to clean the basketball court, run the most laps, and care for my teammates. May we serve others the way Jesus served us...with all of His life.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come Holy Spirit Come! and fill us with your love and humility.

Post a Comment


 
Copyright 2009 God is Enough. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan