Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Father's Day Reflection

It's Fathers Day! I have mixed feelings celebrating this day. I am joyful because it's the day we fathers are remembered and honored. People approach me and say, "happy father's day Kirbs." I got a lot of emails and facebook messages greeting me for being a dad. I am at the same time missing my own dad. It's my first Father's day without him. He passed away on December 19, 2009. Days like this make me miss him so much. I guess I can't call him long distance by phone anymore, but through direct contact in my prayers. I love you Dad.

This day, we also remember the Father of us all, God the Father. Jesus introduced God to us as a Father. He taught us to pray through the Our Father, "And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come (Luke 11:2)." Jesus also tells us that God the Father gives us the Holy Spirit as His promised gift for those who ask. He exhorts, "What father among you would hand his son a snake when he asks for a fish? Or hand him a scorpion when he asks for an egg? If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father in heaven give the holy Spirit to those who ask him?" Luke 11:11-13. Jesus also paints the image of God as the father in the story of the Prodigal Son. "So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him (Luke 15:20)." Indeed the our Father in heaven is a father who is most holy, most generous, and most forgiving.

We thank our fathers here on earth. Through them, we are able to understand God better as our Father. We also honor the men who stand as father figures for children whose dads are not present while growing up. For our dear priests, who are fathers to so many lost souls that find their way back to Christ through the Church, this is your day too. Happy Father's day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


 
Copyright 2009 God is Enough. Powered by Blogger Blogger Templates create by Deluxe Templates. WP by Masterplan